Gal-Mobile Desalination Plant
To the Gal-Mobile! Modi, Netanyahu drive water purification vehicle at Olga Beach
On July 6, 2017, Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi along with his Israeli counterpart Benjamin Netanyahu witnessed the demonstration of sea water purification technology pioneered by Israel at a water desalination unit on Olga Beach in Israel
- Gal-Mobile is an independent, integrated water purification vehicle
- Gal-Mobile is designed to produce high-quality drinking water
- Gal-Mobile can be useful in natural disasters like floods, earthquakes
- Gal-Mobile also has military use in difficult terrain
- Gal-Mobile can be useful in rural areas to provide drinkable water
- Gal-Mobile can purify up to 20,000 litres per day of sea water
- Gal-Mobile can purify up 80k litres per day of brackish/muddy or contaminated water
- PM Modi and Netanyahu viewed demonstration, tasted purified water & rode unique vehicle
- PM Modi & Netanyahu held talks & agreed to establish a strategic partnership in water & agriculture
- The partnership will focus on water conservation, waste- water treatment and its reuse for agriculture, desalination, water utility reforms, and the cleaning of the Ganges and other rivers using advanced water technologies: Joint statement
PM Modi gets a demo of Israel’s biggest ‘weapon’, it is not a drone or missile
- UN estimates that by 2050, around 40% of world population will face water shortages.
- Israel’s superpower status in water technology makes it immune from any water woes in future
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi had a taste of Israel’s superior water technology at the country’s Gal-Mobile Water Filtration Plant at Dor beach.
- PM Modi got a demo of a tech pioneered by Israel for desalination of sea water & purification in disaster-hit and remote areas.
- This is a mobile purification plant, described by Netanyahu as “Future Jeep”.
- At present, several parts of India face water shortage, especially during the summer. PM Modi couldn’t hold his surprise after getting a view of the technology.
- Gal-Mobile is an independent, integrated water purification vehicle, designed to produce high-quality drinking water.
- The ‘Future Jeep’ useful in “natural disasters like floods, earthquakes, military use in difficult terrain and rural areas to provide drinkable water,” PM Modi said in a Tweet.
- Israel’s superior water technology & conservation practices should be envy of the entire world
- Without groundwater and average annual precipitation of approximately 1.2bn cubic meters, the country not only meets the approximately 2.2bn cubic meter water consumption target but also export it to other countries.
- Israeli water technology exports equal US $2bn per year
- India has signed MoU with Israel for cooperation in water management
- It is expected that some of the technology may come to India.
As per the Census 2011
- 10 % of rural households have to fetch drinking water from a distance of more than 500 meters in rural areas
- Rural drinking water supply is a state subject
- The interim goal till 2017 is to cover 50% of all rural households with piped water supply
- By 2022 the goal is to cover 90% of rural households with piped water supply subject to availability of funds.
- 6% of urban households have safe / tap water supply as per Census 2011
Over Exploitation of Ground Water Resources
Central Ground Water Board (CGWB)
- Average annual per capita water availability in 2001: 1820 cubic meters
- Average annual per capita water availability in 2011: 1545 cubic meters
- Availability may reduce further to 1341 cubic meters (2025) & 1140 cubic meters
Desalination Technologies for Water Needs
- MoU on Cooperation in Water Resources Management signed in Nov. 2016
- Department of Science and Technology is mandated with indigenous research and development for water purification technologies including desalination of brackish and pure sea water.
- Department has supported demonstration plants based on indigenously developed reverse osmosis technology for brackish and sea water desalination.
- Department has also supported solar bio-mass hybrid multi effect distillation, thermal desalination system at Naripayyur in Ramanathapuram District of Tamil Nadu.
- Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation envisages installation of desalination plants where availability of surface and ground water is a problem or has hazardous substances like arsenic and fluoride.
- A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Israel for cooperation in the field of water resources management and development has been signed in New Delhi on 11th November, 2016.
- Desalination is one of main areas for collaboration & sharing of experience & expertise in the MoU.
‘DESALINATION IS ONE KEY AREA OF INDIA-ISRAEL COLLABORATION’
25 November 2016
- India and Israel have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for cooperation in the field of water management and development.
- Desalination is one of the key areas of collaboration.
- This was stated by the Minister of State for Water Resources Sanjeev Balyan said in a written reply to the Lok Sabha.
- Balyan said this while responding a query whether the Government plans to expand and incentivise use of desalination technologies to meet growing water needs.
- The MoU was signed on November 11.
- Israel being pioneers in smart water technology is no longer dependent on nature to get water.
- More than 50 per cent of water in Israel comes from desalination and water recycling.
- The cooperation will also help the countries strengthen the techniques in efficient use of water and micro-irrigation.
- It would also help recycle and re-use wastewater, aquifer recharge, desalination and in-situ water conservation techniques.
- Apart from this a number of other Ministries are working on the issue, he said.
- The Minister told the Lower House that the Department of Science and Technology (DST) worked on demonstration plants based on indigenously developed reverse osmosis technology for desalination of brackish sea water.
- The DST has also supported solar bio-mass hybrid multi-effect distillation, thermal desalination system at Naripayyur in Ramanathpuram district of Tamil Nadu, said the Minister.
- Apart from this, the Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation has also envisaged the installation of desalination plants where availability of surface and ground water is a problem or has hazardous substances like arsenic and fluoride.
India: A fresh water scarce country
|Area of the country as % of World Area
|Population as % of World Population||
|Water as % of World Water||
|Rank in water quality||